Thursday, September 21, 2006

My favorite homeschooling perks (so far)

We are about 3 weeks into our first official year of homeschooling, and I am having a great time. Living our lives without worrying about the school calendar is a heck of luxury. So far we have:
  1. Visited blissfully empty museums on school days. Interactive exhibits are a lot more fun when you can actually get a turn to use them.
  2. Spent a beautiful afternoon at the park, savoring the warm weather while it lasts, for far longer than a normal school day would allow.
  3. Took an off-season vacation to a family resort. We got a discounted rate, and essentially had the place to ourselves.
  4. Best of all: my lateriser can stay in bed when she's tired, instead of having rushed mornings where I spend my time fighting with my little dashpot, trying to get her up, dressed, fed, and out the door on-time. Our Saturday mornings aren't devoted to letting her catch-up on the sleep she missed during the week, either.
And the downside? There isn't one, so far. She's learning lots, and her pride in her accomplishments in wonderful to see. Why would we send her to school?

1 comment:

momto5minnies said...

Sounds lovely to me ;)

I am also thinking the chaos of my mornings would not be appealing to you ... LOL!