Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The (Nit)Picky Mother's guide to Educational TV: Part 2



In an earlier post, I criticized the educational children's tv shows recommended by Liz Perle. In this follow up post, I'll give my own list of tv programs my kids and I recommend. My criteria for a good children's show are:
  • An engaging cast who treat each other kindly (with the exception of clearly identified villains) and generally behave as I hope my kids will;
  • A well-written script with a good storyline, interesting, well-presented information or both;
  • Not too much merchandising, particularly for junky toys and candy, err, I mean "fruit snacks";
and
  • My kids need to like it.
It doesn't seem like too much to ask, does it? Here is my list of shows I feel good about my kids watching:
  1. Cyberchase. This show is as entertaining as Scooby Doo, and it presents complicated mathematical concepts in a way my 5 year old understands. It is hands down my kids' favorite show. I think the writers are geniuses.
  2. Between the Lions. Set in a library, this show reminds me of the Electric Company from when I was little (but without the yelling, of course). There are a collection of interesting characters, recurring segments (my older dd loves Gawain's Word), and great books.
  3. The Magic School Bus. Another brilliant educational show. Obeying Ms Frizzle's slogan "Take Chances! Make Mistakes! Get Messy!" the kids in her class investigate a wide range of scientific topics, from optics, to gravity, to reproduction (with brilliant discretion) to digestion. It has served as a jumping off point for many interesting conversations with my kids.
  4. Little Bear. This sweet animated series is based on the classic children's books. It isn't as heavily academic as the other shows on the list, but the plot lines are interesting and creative. They've created a world that feels almost real and completely wonderful.
Some of my kids' favorite shows aren't children's shows at all. Here they are:
  1. Mythbusters. A silly show where former special effects experts attempt to debunk myths. It isn't serious science, but they do usually explain why things work (or don't), and they use the scientific method in designing their experiments. I think my kids like the explosions.
  2. Dirty Jobs. Every episode has the host being taught a couple dirty jobs. It's funny, often gross, and I learn something new every time I watch it.
  3. Good Eats. A cooking show with a heavy emphasis on food science, generally with fun visual aids. And Alton Brown's recipe for fried chicken is delicious!
For the record, my kids don't watch that much tv, but I think they have learned valuable things from tv, and I disagree with the idea that children's programming is some kind of necessary evil for parents who can't figure out how to do without it. My extensive opinions are the result of actually watching with my kids (like I am now...I don't always pay attention), and a very good memory for this kind of information (It's a blessing... and a curse, LOL).

4 comments:

momto5minnies said...

I agree with your TV comment ... absolutely!

We love Magic SchoolBus and Little Bear.

I think they are really lacking with educational shows for kids that are older than 8. For a little while we saw Liberty'e Kids, but I haven't seen it in a while.

Hope you don't mind me posting here. You gave us a link one time, so I guess it is not that private ;)

momto5minnies said...

OOPS ... did this post?
I agree with your TV comment ... absolutely!

We love Magic SchoolBus and Little Bear.

I think they are really lacking with educational shows for kids that are older than 8. For a little while we saw Liberty'e Kids, but I haven't seen it in a while.

Hope you don't mind me posting here. You gave us a link one time, so I guess it is not that private ;)

momto5minnies said...

LOL .... I swear I did not see it post earlier.

Now I am feeling quite silly.

E. Crain said...

I like comments! It lets me know somebody read my blog!